Friday, March 01, 2013

What I Have Been Reading....

Y'all, it has been NINE whole months since I have  done one of these. I have read so much since the last time I wrote, so below is only a small smattering of what has caught my attention in the literary world. 

 Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. By far one of the most interesting biographies I have ever read. Steve Jobs was one challenging/eccentric/egotistical/smart dude. I would have never lasted working for him or being his friend probably. He was just not a pleasant person to be around. This book is totally worth your time - he is a fascinating man.

The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling. I really do not think I could recommend this book to anyone, but I am not sad I read it. It is NOTHING like the Harry Potter series- nothing. The writing is very British and the subject matter is tough- child abuse, death of a couple characters, lots of cursing, etc.


Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I loved this book and highly recommend it. It is about a women's journey through a challenging time in her life and how she came out on the other side knowing herself better. and how she became stronger as a woman and person. Oh yeah, she also hikes the PCT.


Cold Tangerines by Shauna Neiquist. I had mixed feelings when I first started reading this book but after finishing, I really liked it. Each chapter can stand alone and the author basically just tells stories about her life, and there are bits of wisdom sprinkled throughout the book. I have already passed it along to a friend so I would recommend it to any of you.



Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson. I read this author's blog and have since she was in the plane accident. I have followed here for over 5 years. I was excited to read the book even though I was familiar with most of the story. I received it for Mother's Day and read it in about two days- it's easy to read even though the story is hard (but beautiful). It's a good read and worth your time. Although I do not align with everything she believes I very much appreciate her bravery for being so open and writing about her life and story. 


The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. The title alone on this book turned me off but I had read a couple good reviews on it and I thought I would give it a try, and I am glad I did. The author makes a 12 months project out of trying to find happiness/joy in every day life. Each month has a theme and she commits to working on that theme exclusively during the month. There are good things to think about and ponder in the book. Made me think and evaluate a couple things in my life and I have used it with a couple clients. It was worth my time and will be worth yours. 

Oogy by Larry Levin. This book had been buried on my Amazon Wishlist for years so it was a shock when opening my Christmas presents to find this little book. I am glad I received it, but it's not a earth-shattering book or anything. It's a feel good book and easy to read. Not one I would highly recommend but not a waste of time either. I love stories about dogs and the people that love them. 
The Sounds of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey. I would have never picked this up on my own- my good friend K recommended it to me. It was a no brainer when she recommended it. I will read just about anything she tells me to read. This book is beautifully written, had darling little illustrations of snails throughout the pages, and was a captivating story. I loved it so much I got my own copy in hardback to have in my personal library. Not only has it resonated with me, many clients have found it comforting and encouraging. 

And this is just the tip of the iceberg, my friends. I have read so many books over the last 9 months. I will try to do a better job updating and blogging about books- I so enjoy it when I do. 

Happy Weekend!!!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh Yay! I don't read a ton so when I do I want it to be really good and I always look through your old book posts to find a good one. I have been wanting to read Wild for a while so now I definitely have to. Thanks for posting.

Arrie Lugar said...

I always enjoy your book selections. Thanks for posting!