Sunday, June 16, 2013

What I Have Been Reading...

For the love of reading- that's the title of my Instagram hashtags when I finish and start a book. I read a lot- it is part of my self-care and it brings me great joy to read- all kinds of books. I really should keep my blog more up to date on my readings, that way I can capture every single book I read. But when I think about blogging, I usually just pick up a book and read instead:). Below you will find a couple (or more) books I have read since the last reading post. Not all are included but these are the one's I deemed noteworthy.


Love Does by Bob Goff. Such a good pick-me-up book. I liked reading his take on life. I liked his infectious spirit of love and positive thinking. I liked that he put his cell phone number in the back of the book and encouraged the reader to contact him with their own 'love does' story. I sure did text him and he text back. It made my day and for that reason you should read the book.


The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory. I mainly read nonfiction but on our cruise in April I wanted a good fiction. I have always heard a lot about this author but never read one of her books. A friend of mine let me have her copy instead of selling it at our conjoint garage sale back in March. I love a good time period piece- it brings out the History major in me. (Remember that one time I got a BA in History from ACU that I never use...) Gregory is a smart writer and really did her homework. I have already passed this little gem along to a fellow book lover.

Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton. I have followed Glennon's blog for a couple years. Her book is mainly her blog in a hard back- with more editing and longer stories. I loved this book. I cried and laughed and wrote down memorable quotes. This is a book I am proud to have on my bookshelf. I very much encourage you to read this one, especially if you are a mom.


A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans. I had great anticipation for this book when Rachel was writing this book TWO years ago. Since then I somewhat lost interest, had a baby, and read hundreds of other books. I have had this book for months and just picked in up in May. My honest opinion- I really liked it- way more than I thought I was going to. My one critique: I think the title of the book could have been different.


Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer. I will read anything by Jodi. She is one of the smartest writers I read. I have wanted to read this book since it was released- Jodi wrote it with her 16 year old daughter. It's teen literature and I am a suck for teen lit. It's one of the ways I feel I stay connected to teenagers, my client, and it make me feel young to read Sarah Dessen, JK Rowlins, and John Green. This story is a book within a book and is based of a fairy tale. Maybe one day Cora will let me read it to her...


Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist. This is one of those books that I read and savored every chapter. As I was reading I was imagining people in my head who needed to read this book next. I could not wait to pass it along. I waited until I found this book cheap at Mardels (gotta love their $1, $3, $5 bin!). I just started her newest book and it is proving to be excellent as well. Sometimes I am pretty critical of Christian books- this one won me over.


Forgotten Bookmarks by Michael Popek. No need to rush out and buy this book. You can get the same effect on his blog. I found this book cheap and used and picked it up months ago. It's not really a read- more like pictures with short comentary. Am I glad I read it- yes. Would a recommend it- if you're into weird facts and forgotten pictures/receipts/letter. It was right up my ally...


Seeing Through The Fog by Ed Dobson. Man, this book was good. He has a compelling story and brave soul for sharing like he did in this memoir. ALS is a cruel disease. I appreciate his honesty and brokenness displayed in this book. Again, another book I am proud to display in my home library. 


Daring Greatly by Brene Brown. Please, stop whatever you are doing now and go out and purchase this book today. Start reading and do not stop until the last page. Read it in one sitting. No, better yet, read it slow and savory the wisdom that is Brene in this book. I LOVED this book- one of the best books I have ever read. But be prepared- it will ware you out emotional reading it. I have had read few books that capture the human sprit the way Brene does. Shame, vulnerability, whole hearted living- I am forever changed by the new understanding of these words. 


Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling. Read this on my iPad. I laughed the whole way through. In fact, I loved it so much I read it in a couple hours. I liken it to Tina Fey's book. You will not be disappointed with this read. Her section on dating about killed me and I am pretty sure I  embarrassed Steve as I was reading this on a plane ride:).


1-2-3 Magic by Thomas W. Phelan. I try to read a couple parenting books a year- to keep up with the latest trends and help clients who find themselves in my office of parenting related issues. I'll be honest: since having Cora I have read few parenting books and when I do I am pretty picky. My main synopsis of the book: it's good but not great. I took several ideas for the book and have used it in the counseling office. I have recommend the book to clients and friends and I plan to use a couple of the ideas with Cora. Do I think this is the parenting bible? No, but it could be very useful to some. My next parenting read is based on tweens- bring it on!

So, what are you reading?!

No comments: